I mainly use my crock pot to cook beans in since they take a fair amount of time to cook and this way I can leave house while they cook. But yesterday I decided to try something new and make porridge in the crock pot so there would be warm breakfast waiting or us when we woke up.
We eat oatmeal pretty much every morning but I wanted to try to make an even more powerful breakfast by using super grains such as quinoa and barley. It turned out really well and I think Noah was the one who liked it the best.
Quinoa and barley both contains proteins, fiber and iron and are both considered a low glycemic index food which means it will not make your blood sugar go on a roller coaster.
1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
1/2 cup barley, rinsed ( I used purple barley but pearled barley will do as well
1 cinnamon stick
1 tbs crystallized ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbs raw or extra virgin coconut oil
4 cups water
Place everything in crock pot and blend the last thing you do in the evening and turn crock pot to low. Serve with maple syrup, raw pumpkin seeds, milk and sliced bananas for a wholesome breakfast that last you a long time.

No comments:
Post a Comment